Violent Incident Training
INCREASE YOUR DECISION MAKING ABILITY
AND CHANCES FOR SURVIVAL
WHY DO I NEED THIS?
Violent incidents in society are becoming more frequent and mainstream around the nation and world. It is unfortunate we have to discuss a subject of this nature, however, the University of Iowa and the Department of Public Safety believes your safety is the most important responsibility we are charged with. Realizing that someone can’t be with you around the clock for protection we offer training and education on various topics to help ensure your safety; this class is one of many currently being offered.
A.L.I.C.E., which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate, is a flexible set of principles that may be adapted to any violent situation. Preparation is key for any situation we face in life; the more prepared we are the better we perform.
PURPOSE OF THIS TRAINING?
The goal of this training is to begin your mental preparation of recognizing, assessing, and responding to threats against you. A.L.I.C.E. is being taught around the country to law enforcement, college campuses, K-12 schools, private business, and other social organizations who realize they need education on this topic.
Society has trained us to react to fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods and other types of disasters; this program is no different. By studying what has worked in past violent incidents around the world it has been found that certain techniques work and others don’t.
This training is not designed to scare you into thinking there is a violent situation lurking around every corner. It is designed to prepare you with knowledge should you be in a violent situation including an active shooter scenario.
COURSE LENGTH: TWO HOURS
COURSE LOCATION: Department of Public Safety 880 University Capitol Centre. Go to the Old Capitol Ramp Elevators and take them to the lower level. As you leave the elevator go through the door on the left/north. Go down the ramp and look for the sign.
- Oct 17, 2013 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Nov 5, 2013 0900AM – 1100AM
- Nov21, 2013 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Dec 3, 2013 0900AM – 1100AM
- Dec 19, 2013 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Jan 6, 2014 0900-1100 (UIHC)
- Jan 22, 2014 1300-1500 (DPS)
- Feb 3 , 2014 0900-1100 (UIHC)
- Feb 19, 2014 1300-1500 (DPS)
- Mar 3 , 2014 0900-1100 (UIHC)
- Mar 19, 2014 1300-1500 (DPS)
- Apr 7, 2014 0900-1100 (UIHC)
- Apr 23, 2014 1300-1500 (DPS)
- May 5, 2014 0900-1100 (UIHC)
- May 21, 2014 1300-1500 (DPS)
STUDENTS: Please email Shawn Sharp, UI Emergency Management Coordinator, to register.
FACULTY AND STAFF:
Please go to your self serve web page and find the "Violent Incident Training" course and register there. To do this:
- From your self-service web page in the center column there is a heading that says "Learning and Development"
- Under this heading is a link that says "My Training" click this
- On the left of the page is a hyperlink titled "Available Sessions & Series" click this
- Scroll down to the VIST class you want and sign up
DEPARTMENTS: To schedule a course for your department contact please email Shawn Sharp, UI Emergency Management Coordinator, for more information.