University of Iowa

Frequently Asked Questions

See what other students have been asking:

How do I file a complaint or offer a compliment regarding my interaction with an employee of the University of Iowa Department of Public Safety?

The University of Iowa Department of Public Safety (DPS) strives to maintain a high level of professionalism from all employees.  Should you wish to file a complaint or offer a compliment, you are encouraged to do so in person at the DPS office, located at 808 University Capitol Centre. . A communications operator will contact a supervisor to take your complaint.  In the event a supervisor is not available, an officer who is not the subject of the complaint will assist you and forward the statement to their supervisor in a sealed envelope.

The supervisor will assist you in completing a written statement which asks you to provide the following information:  your name, address, phone number; date and time of the incident, including case number if applicable and a brief description; including the names(s) of the employee(s) involved in the incident.

Complaints will be thoroughly investigated.  During the investigation process, you may be contacted for additional information about the incident.  Complaints regarding the validity of a traffic citation or criminal charge will not be addressed through this process, such matters will be handled through the court system.  Based upon the finding of the investigation, a policy or procedure may be reviewed or changed, or an employee disciplined.  The University of Iowa Department of Public Safety will notify you of any action taken, although not the specific nature of disciplinary action.

Compliments will be shared with the employee(s) involved and their supervisor.  In some instances the compliment may be shared with the entire department and or university administration.

In the event you are unable to file your complaint or compliment in person, you may access the written statement form. Once the statement has been received, the above process will be followed.

Will you give me a ride to the hospital?

We provide medical transportation from campus to a hospital and back. However, if you have an emergency, call 911 for an ambulance. We will not provide transportation services in emergency situations or when it may be inappropriate to do so, such as broken bones, excessive bleeding, or unstable vital signs. The officer has the right to refuse transportation and call an ambulance when appropriate.

What if my ID card or proximity card will not work?

We have no control over the electronic building access system. You must contact Facilities Management at 335-5071 for questions. Due to the complexity of the system and variable user rights, we will not override the electronic system.

How can I obtain a copy of a criminal history?

Criminal histories must be obtained through the Iowa Department of Public Safety. They can be reached at 515-281-4776 or at the Division of Criminal Investigation website. For questions on arrests made by the University of Iowa  Police Department you may call records at 335-5022.