In the interest of campus safety we want everyone to be aware that...
On July 16 at approximately 7:50 p.m., a UI employee was walking toward her vehicle on level 1 of the Melrose Avenue Parking Facility (Hospital Ramp 4) when she saw a male attempting to remove a bumper sticker from her car. When she intervened, the suspect displayed a knife. She fled and called police who immediately checked the area but the suspect was not located.
The victim described the suspect as a white male in his late 20s with blonde hair and a longer goatee. He was wearing a white ball cap, a light blue short sleeved shirt, and khaki shorts with pockets.
This matter remains under investigation. If you have any information please contact UI Police at 335-5022.
In response to this incident, the University of Iowa Police Department is providing the following information. This information is general and not related to the aforementioned account.
- Always be aware of your surroundings when walking alone especially late at night and in the early morning hours
- If you believe you are being followed, quickly walk/run toward other people or enter an establishment and immediately call the police by dialing 911
- Never risk injury for material items, give them up immediately if you are threatened with physical harm
- You are under no obligation to communicate with strangers; don't be concerned with appearing to be rude if you feel vulnerable
- FOR SOMEONE VULNERABLE OR AS A BYSTANDER; If you feel uneasy about a situation, trust your instincts and attempt to interrupt the chain of events. Being an active bystander doesn't require that you put yourself at risk; call the police immediately by dialing 911. If practical, attempt to record pertinent information (i.e., description of the assailant, distinguishing features, location and direction of travel, etc.)
- Download the Hawk Watch mobile application to communicate with the UI Police Department via text message or request a guardian to monitor your commute. To download the free app, visit the App Store or Google Play and search for Rave Guardian. Once you download Rave Guardian, create a profile using your UI email address to gain access to the Hawk Watch network. For more information on Hawk Watch, visit: https://police.uiowa.edu/communications/hawk-watch.